SPIN Stands for four types of questions that a salesperson should ask a potential buyer in order to build a relationship and understand what the buyer needs so as to motivate a sale:
- S – Situational questions: aim to understand a prospect’s needs at the current moment.
- P – Problem questions: help the salesperson to understand what problem a prospect is facing.
- I – Implication questions: encourage the prospect to think about what might happen if the problem isn’t solved.
- N – Need payoff questions: Give the prospect the opportunity to think about what would happen if the problems were solved.
For example, here are the questions you may ask if your goal is to sell a company a new type of organizational software:
- S – How does your company currently stay organized?
- P – Do you ever find that your company spends more time working on the organizational system than taking advantage of its benefits?
- I – How much time and money do you think might be wasted if you continue with your current organization system?
- N – How much time might you save and how much more organized do you think you would be with practical, customizable, and easy-to-use organizational software?